National Institute of Wind Energy formerly Centre for Wind Energy Technology shortly known as NIWE is an autonomous R&D institution established at Chennai in 1998 by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), Government of India. It is a premier institution with highly experienced professionals having expertise in all related disciplines of wind energy sector. This combination makes it a forward looking and practical institution always well placed to take the next logical steps towards advancing wind technology in the right direction. With its progressive approach to all wind energy related science and technology from onshore to offshore, NIWE assures assistance from resource assessment to project implementation. As an integral part of NIWE, a world class accredited Services providing Wind Turbine Test Station (WTTS) is established at Kayathar in Thoothukudi District, Tamil Nadu. NIWE has been vested with the responsibility to provide complete scientific and technical backing to all stakeholders in the field of wind energy
Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency (IREDA), New Delhi has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with NIWE on 06.04.2016 for creation of Corpus and establish Annual Award to promote innovation, research & development, manufacturing, developing & harnessing Wind Energy at the State and National levels and to motivate individuals / companies to strive to perform better in the field.
IREDA provided one-time Corpus of Rs.1.00 Crore [Rupees One Crore only] which shall be kept as Corpus by NIWE and the interest earned on the same shall be utilized for instituting the annual awards. NIWE has been requested to promote these awards as 'IREDA-NIWE Awards for Wind Energy’.
As agreed by NIWE in the above Memorandum of Understanding, the following Annual NIWE-IREDA Awards in three categories are instituted with the following general rules and regulations.
Categories of Awards
As per the MoU signed with IREDA, the following awards are considered broadly in the following categories to recognise, celebrate and reward achievement and excellences in:
- Best Projects
NIWE-IREDA Award for Best Performing State Nodal Agencies for the Year
- Innovative Technology / New Initiative / Mechanism
NIWE-IREDA Award for Best Institution of Higher Learning in Wind Energy
- Research & Development
NIWE-IREDA Award for Best Research Work in Wind Energy
Frequency and Presentation of Awards
The Award will be given every year on the Foundation Day of NIWE, 21st March of every year. The awards shall be presented in a function generally chaired by the Hon’ble Minister, MNRE or senior official from the Ministry and attended by three prominent people from Media, including one standing editor from a National English Daily in the presence of at least 2 representatives from media at NIWE, Chennai or New Delhi or any other place conveniently selected.
Each award would comprise of Rs.1 lakh along with Citation.
The awards shall be promoted as ‘NIWE-IREDA Awards in Wind Energy Sector’ through press, print and electronic media to give wider publicity. NIWE and IREDA Logo will be used while promoting and publicizing these awards as IREDA has extended the financial support.
- Website Creation or Link Provision
In NIWE & IREDA websites, a link is created about the announcement of the award, information brochure, programme schedule, date, time and venue of the function.
- Administration of the Award
The award will be administered by NIWE through suitable and able Committees constituted for the purpose. The Director General, NIWE will constitute the committees every year well in advance in consultation with IREDA and MNRE.
Creation of Logo or Design
To make IREDA- NIWE’s recognition award to stand out from other awards, NIWE would build recognition using consistent brand building, print the Award Logo on all communications, such as emails, memos, and letters, etc.
- Announcement and Inviting Applications / Nominations
The Announcement about the Awards will be made through advertisements / communications, giving a time line for submission, forwarded through proper channel wherever applicable for the factualness for the contents of the applications. Nominations / applications will be online as well as regular submission.
- Time lines
The following are the possible time lines for the awards process and may be modified based on the need with due approval of the Director General, NIWE:
- Calling nomination will be done giving good amount of time, during November / December.
- Constitution of various Committees during December / January.
- Last date for receiving nominations for each of the award on 31January.
- Meeting of award Selection committee by end of February.
- Announcement of the selected Awardees on or before 15th March.
- Award presentation on 21st March – NIWE Foundation Day.
- Nominations and Last Date
A notification inviting nominations for the award shall be issued each year giving good amount of time for nomination. The announcement is generally by November / December and the last date will be on 25th February allowing time to scrutinise, review and select the suitable nominees.
- Scrutinization of Application / Nominations
A separate screening Committee will be formed every year consisting of relevant officials to check for the required documentary proof and relevance of applications.
- Applications / Nominations
- A notification inviting nominations for the award shall be issued each year during November / December.
- The nomination is free and there is no Registration Fee. A nomination shall be made in the prescribed format along with all supporting documents, must reach NIWE in the prescribed date given in the notification.
- The Application made in the prescribed form can be downloaded from NIWE / IREDA website or obtainable from NIWE, will be accepted up to the prescribed date advertised for the year of the award.
- Nominations submitted after the deadline will not be considered for that year’s awards program. In rare case, with the genuine reason(s) may be reconsidered with due approval.
- The applications / nominations are to be forwarded through proper channel and with endorsement of the competent authority or the designated authority.
- A nomination / application may only be nominated once. If no outstanding entries have been received, no award will be awarded in the particular year.
- Selection Methodology
- The awardee(s) will be selected by an Expert Committee constituted for this purpose by NIWE, comprising of 3-5 Senior Members from Government Organizations, Academic Institutions, Media and Financial Sectors for the evaluation and selection of the Awardee of the year and to ensure that the winning entries are truly outstanding and worthy of receiving an Award.
- Wherever necessary, the Jury / Expert committee may invite non-member experts for advice and evaluation.
- An award to be given only if award criteria are met.
- The Experts Committee will review all nominations carefully.
- The Committee will ensure the nomination package demonstrates contributions in the selection criteria of the appropriate award category.
- Once the Awards Committee has made its final selection, a recommendation will be made to the Competent Authority of NIWE. The recommendations and subsequent decisions will remain confidential until the chosen awardees are notified by the Competent Authority of NIWE.
- The recommendation of the Expert Committee will be handed over immediately after the meeting, by the Convener, in a sealed envelope addressed to the DG, NIWE.
- DG, NIWE after scrutinizing the genuineness of the recommendations and will accord approval for the selection in consultation with IREDA and MNRE authorities.
- NIWE will send invitation and communication to the selected nomination(s).
- NIWE reserves the right to final selection of the candidate for the Award. No appeal or protest in this regard would be entertained.
- It is not necessary for a nominee to have participated / taken part in each of the activities given above.
- The award would comprise a Citation and Rs.1,00,000/- and the awardee has to take care of his / her travel and hospitality expenses from his / her work place to NIWE or the place of Award function and return.
- Evaluation criteria
The criteria will be decided by the Award Expert Committee - Jury on it own.
All nominations will be treated in the strictest confidence. The Awardee(s) selected each year would be invited to receive the Award in a function to be held at NIWE or convenient place on NIWE Foundation Day- March 21.