The National Institute of Wind Energy is a technical focal point for wind energy technologies established by the union Ministry of New and Renewable Energy at Chennai in 1998. A Wind Turbine Test Station has also been established at Kayathar, Tamil Nadu, with technical and financial support from DANIDA, a Government of Denmark agency.
NIWE, a knowledge based institution of high quality and dedication, offers services and seeks to find total solutions for the major stakeholders across the entire spectrum of the wind energy sector. It will support the wind turbine industry in achieving and sustaining quality such that products of the highest quality and reliability are installed, harnessing all energy available in the wind. NIWE will strongly support the wind turbine industry in developing the know-how and know-why and promoting export of products and services.
- To serve as the technical focal point for wind power development in India, for promoting and accelerating the pace of utilization of wind energy and support the growing wind power sector in the country.
- To develop and strengthen the facilities and capabilities, evolve strategies, promote, conduct, co-ordinate and support research and development programmes to achieve and maintain reliable and cost effective technology in wind power systems.
- To analyse and assess wind resources based on the data available from various sources and prepare wind energy density maps / wind atlas / reference wind data.
- To prepare and establish standards including guidelines, procedures, protocols for design, testing and certification of wind power systems, sub-systems and components, taking into consideration the Indian conditions and in line with internationally recommended practices and standards and update the same based on the feedback.nd update the same based on the feedback.
- To establish world class facilities, conduct and coordinate testing of complete wind power systems, sub-systems and components according to internationally accepted test procedures and criteria, whereby the total performance that includes power performance, power quality, noise level, dynamics, operation and safety systems is tested according to agreed protocols.afety systems is tested according to agreed protocols.
- To accord type approval / type certification which verifies conformity with safety related requirements as per standards, guidelines and other rules for design, operation and maintenance, as well as adequate documentation of quality issues such as power performance, noise, life expectancy and reliability.
- To monitor the field performance of wind power systems, sub-systems and components, effectively utilize this feedback for fulfillment of the above objective and issue of certification, establish and update the data bank on a continuous basis and serve as information Centre for selective dissemination.
- To undertake human resource development programme for the personnel working in the wind energy sector.
- To promote commercial exploitation of know-how, know-why results and offer various consultancy services to the customers.
- To promote the development and commercialization of any other wind energy systems including stand-alone systems.