National Institute of Wind Energy (NIWE) has been established in Chennai in the year 1998, as an autonomous R&D institution by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), Government of India. It is a knowledge-based institution of high quality and dedication, offers services and seeks to find complete solutions for the kinds of difficulties and improvements in the entire spectrum of the wind energy sector by carrying out further research. It has a Wind Turbine Test Station (WTTS) at Kayathar with the technical & partial financial support by DANIDA, Govt. of Denmark.
The National Institute of Wind Energy is functioning with the following structure.
- RE-Grid integration & Research and Development (R&D) Division: Its main focus towards novelty in developments of components as well as in sub-systems of wind turbines by collaborative works with other R&D institutions/industry.
- Certification Division : The Division carries out Type certification of wind turbines based on IS/IEC 61400-22, And also involved in creating the necessary IT infrastructure for effective dissemination of information.
- Standards & Regulation (S&R) Division : Standardization works in wind Energy Sector, Facilitation for Grid Synchronization of Prototype of wind turbines and Revised list of Models and Manufactures of wind turbines
- Skill Development & Training, Infrastructure Management (SDT & IM) Division : To establish and update the data bank and serve as finest information centre in wind energy by collecting, collating and analyzing the related information. National and International training workshops are being organized for the benefit of stakeholders by the division regularly. The division publishes a quarterly newsletter, PAVAN that carries topical information regarding the field and addresses the need for information, both for casual and serious interest.
- Measurements & Testing (M&T) Division: To establish world class facilities in testing of complete Wind Turbine Generator Systems (WTGS) according to international standards (IEC). The division offer service support Power performance measurement, Safety and function testing, Load measurements etc,.
- Offshore Wind Development, Data Analytics, Forecasting & Information Technology (OWD, DAF & IT) Division : The Division identifies resource rich regions in the country by conducting wind resource micro survey and offers its services to the wind farm developers. To prepare wind map for the nation, it is assessing and analyzing wind resources.
National Institute of Wind Energy is a "meant only for wind energy technology" research organization in Asia and perhaps in countries of the South. It is a young organization peopled with highly experienced professionals with expertise in all fields that wind turbine technology. This unique combination makes it a forward looking and practical place that will take the next logical steps in taking wind energy applications in the right directions. With its open approach to all wind energy related science and technology, you can be sure to get all the assistance you may need from resource assessment to project implementation. It is sure that the NIWE with its excellent infrastructure & resource, will support, sustain and achieve high quality in the wind energy domain. The NIWE will also promote expert products and services to other countries too.